Families and Friends are Forever

Thursday 12 November 2009

The verdict - follow on my last post

Ok, so i went to do the proper glucose test on the 10th of this month and boy it was so boring, it took more than 2 hours to complete and got some more hematomas too boohooo!! anyway the next day, a midwife rang about the result and surprise surprise I have indeed developed a GESTATIONAL DIABETES MELLITUS or in other words, Diabetes for pregnant women, this is due to changes to the normal hormone levels. Q: Will the diabetes go away at the end of pregnancy? A:It is very likely that the diabetes is only associated with the pregnancy, and, in almost every instance, will go away as soon as the baby is born. I really hope so. Anyway i met up with the Diabetes educator today and dietitian they gave me a few booklets and instructions on my daily diet as GDM can sometimes be well managed just by eating the right food etc do exercise, in the mean time I to prick my finger 4 times a day to monitor my sugar level, and if that's going well then i dont need to take a medication for it. I was also told that they will be monitoring the baby from now on (growth wise) which means frequent visit to the hospital. The immediate risk is associated with GDM is the possibility of the baby being larger than average, this may make the birth more difficult or lead to a higher rate of induction or Caesarean section which i was hoping all the while to have a natural and normal birth, so I guess i'll just have to do the best I can to manage this diabetes, I just and pray that my baby is okay and is not to affected by it. So there you go..I thought i had it all good but i thought wrong <:) Until then, i'll keep you posted on my progress..

1 comment:

Isaac and Sarah said...

You'll be alright. My Aunt had diabetes when she was pregnant, but It went away after she gave birth. Take care and eat healthy.